Did you guys know rubies and sapphires - which are usually seen in jewellery - are actually the same thing?
When I say the ‘same thing’, I mean they are both varieties of the mineral corundum, which forms mainly in metamorphic rocks, but not limited to. They have the same chemical formula, Al2O3, yet come in different colours and are known to the general public as different ‘stones’.
Rubies and sapphires both must have a certain amount of colourisation and hues to be considered a specific kind of that gemstone. Sapphires can also come in other colours than the dark blue most people know.
The reasons for all these different colours and hues is dependant on the amount of elements found within the mineral.
For example, the ruby’s pink-to-red colours are because of the presence of the element chromium.
Sapphires come in a more array of colours - blue, purple, green, yellow, pink, etc - due to different elements being present like copper, iron, and magnesium; just to name a few.
The best part is, these are all impurities. Funny how impurities actually make something even more beautiful, right? As well, we all know the diamond is the hardest gemstone, coming in with a 10.0 on the Mohs scale, but rubies and sapphires come very close with a 9.0.
Oh yeah, and these varieties can be fluorescent too. Just a bonus to add to the pure awesome that is corundum. Next time you see these gemstones set in jewellery, you’ll now know some new facts to tell others!
Photo credit goes to:
This reminded me of the Aurora diamonds in the Natural History museum. They glow in the dark and were gorgeous.
original: crownedrose - via: cakeandteain221b
- teccapetown likes this
- thatmakesense likes this
- myuka770 likes this
- wildleonerdgirl likes this
- proudofherevergreengown reblogged this from crownedrose
- itsninimfer likes this
- tsumugishusbando likes this
- iamsefanii likes this
- thebigbadwerewolf reblogged this from suitofcards
- suitofcards reblogged this from crownedrose
- suitofcards likes this
- backscratchernmonkeyfloss reblogged this from crownedrose
- yourninjamaster reblogged this from aprilfoolromance
- the-scarecrow-of-aus likes this
- ire-d reblogged this from mfullcircle
- rachelle-on-the-run likes this
- shslcatsanta reblogged this from whothefuckischarlie
- imtoodumbtocomeupwithawittyname reblogged this from mfullcircle
- whothefuckischarlie reblogged this from mfullcircle
- iampothepanda reblogged this from mfullcircle
- iampothepanda likes this
- jerida1000 likes this
- mfullcircle reblogged this from crownedrose
- mfullcircle likes this
- atggcct reblogged this from scinerds
- mariaisidorastuff likes this
- brizzle824 likes this
- xcocoicex reblogged this from crownedrose
- fuckinfranky likes this
- amaranthinelover reblogged this from praytothebeat
- praytothebeat reblogged this from crownedrose
- krycroc reblogged this from zombiekitt3ns and added:
- krycroc likes this
- crazytravis10 reblogged this from crownedrose
- zombiekitt3ns reblogged this from crownedrose
- zombiekitt3ns likes this
- gruz3m likes this
- djaienti likes this
- darkmatterraptor likes this
- dinosaurlumberjack reblogged this from crownedrose
- lime5652 reblogged this from crownedrose
- theatricalnovelty reblogged this from onedirectionfacingmecca
- mayaread likes this
- jrb11111000011 reblogged this from crownedrose and added:
- baiknour reblogged this from crownedrose
- smeagols-pet-cat reblogged this from eamusadcaelum
- eamusadcaelum reblogged this from timemakesnomistakes and added:
- unholy-cunt likes this
- sincerely-logan reblogged this from timemakesnomistakes
- happinessandlivinglife likes this