Did you guys know rubies and sapphires - which are usually seen in jewellery - are actually the same thing?
When I say the ‘same thing’, I mean they are both varieties of the mineral corundum, which forms mainly in metamorphic rocks, but not limited to. They have the same chemical formula, Al2O3, yet come in different colours and are known to the general public as different ‘stones’.
Rubies and sapphires both must have a certain amount of colourisation and hues to be considered a specific kind of that gemstone. Sapphires can also come in other colours than the dark blue most people know.
The reasons for all these different colours and hues is dependant on the amount of elements found within the mineral.
For example, the ruby’s pink-to-red colours are because of the presence of the element chromium.
Sapphires come in a more array of colours - blue, purple, green, yellow, pink, etc - due to different elements being present like copper, iron, and magnesium; just to name a few.
The best part is, these are all impurities. Funny how impurities actually make something even more beautiful, right? As well, we all know the diamond is the hardest gemstone, coming in with a 10.0 on the Mohs scale, but rubies and sapphires come very close with a 9.0.
Oh yeah, and these varieties can be fluorescent too. Just a bonus to add to the pure awesome that is corundum. Next time you see these gemstones set in jewellery, you’ll now know some new facts to tell others!
Photo credit goes to:
This reminded me of the Aurora diamonds in the Natural History museum. They glow in the dark and were gorgeous.
original: crownedrose - via: thewhitetreeofgondor
- krycroc reblogged this from zombiekitt3ns and added:
- krycroc likes this
- crazytravis10 reblogged this from crownedrose
- zombiekitt3ns reblogged this from crownedrose
- zombiekitt3ns likes this
- gruz3m likes this
- djaienti likes this
- darkmatterraptor likes this
- dinosaurlumberjack reblogged this from crownedrose
- lime5652 reblogged this from crownedrose
- theatricalnovelty reblogged this from onedirectionfacingmecca
- mayaread likes this
- jrb11111000011 reblogged this from crownedrose and added:
- baiknour reblogged this from crownedrose
- sectumpatronum reblogged this from spesadinfinitumetultra
- spesadinfinitumetultra reblogged this from timemakesnomistakes and added:
- sincerely-logan reblogged this from timemakesnomistakes
- happinessandlivinglife likes this
- emergencybutler likes this
- non-creative likes this
- take-me-away-mysweetescape reblogged this from ceaselessantithesis
- ceaselessantithesis reblogged this from timemakesnomistakes
- youpollutetheroom likes this
- beniceorfuckoff reblogged this from timemakesnomistakes
- timemakesnomistakes reblogged this from eetthechildren
- jess8111 likes this
- feartheordinary likes this
- abbsurdity reblogged this from goodlyrottenapple
- jumentum likes this
- scraftynoodle reblogged this from thefoxeh and added:
- thefoxeh reblogged this from goodlyrottenapple
- goodlyrottenapple reblogged this from feeltheillinoise
- feeltheillinoise reblogged this from scienceing
- swirlspill reblogged this from crownedrose
- woodantlers reblogged this from zerudaswonderland
- satteredhunter likes this
- doctoratat reblogged this from crownedrose
- swaggadownpatx3 reblogged this from crownedrose
- swaggadownpatx3 likes this
- thisisspacejam likes this
- nearlyobscenedreams reblogged this from pursuingmyhappiness
- alyirony likes this
- makingkrona reblogged this from crownedrose
- kissyourpineapple likes this
- swirlymar reblogged this from crownedrose
- thelifespanofadoll reblogged this from porcelainmadien
- bootsandbooks likes this
- i-like-autumn reblogged this from zerudaswonderland
- gekkosuisho likes this